Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I bought a plant called lipstick fragaria?

I bought this plant last year at the end of the season. I did some research and I believe it's a strawberry plant? It bloomed white flowers though. It has runners just like a strawberry plant would, it's low growing. My question is - is this really an edible plant if it berries? I looked everywhere on the internet.I bought a plant called lipstick fragaria?
Fragaria 'Lipstick' is supposed to be a rose-red flower but it will revert back and throw a white flower every now and then, so this is not completely uncommon. I work at a nursery and see this happen in our crop. In a batch of 500 or so plants, perhaps 1 or 2 plants will come up white. So, you probably still have the ornamental type and the berries will not be very tasty and generally they are small.





If you don't like the white one, take it out and try it again (hopefully when in flower). The white one is nothing special but 'Lipstick' is really cute.





Good luck.I bought a plant called lipstick fragaria?
Strawberries (Fragaria) come in both ornamental and cropping varieties.





Even if your ornamental variety does fruit they won't be as good as strawberries that are bred for eating.





I found a site (North Creek Nurseries) that lists Fragaria 'Lipstick'; and say it is inadvisable to eat the berries, so don't but It also says your plant has pink flowers. Perhaps your plant is an eating strawberry after all and not the variety listed. If in doubt don't eat any just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hosting services